Osteoarthritis is a chronic disease that affects the joints and bones around the joints.
Osteoarthritis (OA, also known as degenerative arthritis, degenerative joint disease), is a condition in which joint pain due to mild inflammation arising due to friction ends of bones making up the joint.
At joints, a cartilage tissue which is called by the name of cartilage usually closes the ends of bones making up the joint. A layer of fluid called synovial fluid located between the bones and acts as a lubricant that prevents the ends of the bones rub against each other and scrape each other.
In conditions of shortage of synovial fluid, cartilage layer that covers the ends of bones will rub against each other. The friction will make the layer is getting thinner and will eventually cause pain. Everyone has experienced joint pain.
The cause of osteoarthritis vary. Several studies have shown an association between osteoarthritis with an allergic reaction, infection, and invasion of fungi (mycoses). Another study also showed the presence of heredity (genetics) are involved in the reduction of this disease. However, several risk factors for osteoarthritis are as follows:
Women over the age of 45 years.
Excessive physical activity, such as athletes and manual workers suffered a thigh muscle weakness.
Suffered a broken bone around the joints that do not get proper treatment.
6 Nursing Diagnosis for Osteoarthritis
- Acute / Chronic Pain related to distention of tissue by the accumulation of fluid / inflammatory process, Liquor joints.
- Impaired Physical Mobility related to skeletal deformities, pain, discomfort, decrease in muscle strength.
- Disturbed Body Image / Self-Concept Disturbance related to changes in ability to perform common tasks, increased use of energy, mobility imbalance.
- Self-Care Deficit related to the decrease in strength, endurance, pain when moving, Depression.
- Risk for Social Isolation associated with long-term degenerative disease process, inadequate support system.
- Knowledge Deficit : About Illness, Treatment and Prognosis and Medical Supplies related to the lack of understanding / recall information misinterpretation.